Thursday, September 9, 2010

A Chapter's End - Our Big Brown House

I want to thank our big brown house for the memories.  I saw it for the last time yesterday.  I grew up there part of the time; going from an only child living in the middle of town, to having three brothers and living in the country.  Sitting here now, thinking back on those years,  puts a big smile on my face.

I tried to fit in the best I could with boys.  I had never heard of the loud music they referred to as 'Metallica' before.  I didn't understand how their baseball cards could be worth so much money, or why anyone would want to trap a fart in a POG canister.  Come to think of it, there were a number of things that were a mystery to me, but it made life intriguing.

The cupboards at our big brown house were always filled with Post Toasties and Hamburger Helper.  I will never forget when Post Toasties were on sale 2/$4 and my dad bought every box.  They had to get us one of the old carts to be able to get all 24 boxes out to the car.  The good cereal was locked in his shop, but a swift hit with the hip would pop the door open.  I wonder if he ever knew that.    

It was in this big brown house we learned that you should not put red markers in the microwave and a spray can of deodorant, paired up with a lit match, made for an excellent torch like effect.  Mike taught us that a faulty apple cutter could do a number on your hand.  T.J. taught us that you should not grab a steak knife by the blades.  I remember our big skateboard ramp....my brothers could skateboard so well.  I tried to skateboard.....let's just leave it at that.  And then there was raking leaves.  We were told there would be a reward when we were done. It seemed like a good incentive between hours 1 and 2, but the excitement faded quickly.  You see, the key here was not when we were done, but when the leaves were done.  I "missed out" on a lot of years of raking; it is my understanding it never got any better.

At our big brown house we had a secret lake.  We named it, "secret lake".  One winter day we were playing on it all afternoon and Chris' boots leaked through so T.J. gave up his and ran back to the house in his socks.  I thought he was so brave.  During heavy snow falls, my dad would plow paths out in the field, making excellent sledding paths.  I remember Monday Night RAW, ice cream night and pizza every Friday...



As sad as the thought is to say goodbye, it is the memories that are the most important part, and they will remain forever.  Thank you big brown house.  Two families became one; and though it was not always an easy road, it was one that was truly a blessing to travel upon.

1 comment:

  1. Heather! You did it! Proud of you. I can hear you talk when you write...Love the memories that you share. Lately my sister and I have been traveling memory lane and it has been both fun and kinda sad at times. Keep it up. I look forward to what you have to say next!
    Annette

    ReplyDelete